Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Unique people in Gods "Forever Family"

This week for our daily breakfasts I am going to introduce you to some people that I have met on the evangelistic trails around the world. I never cease to be amazed by the uniqueness of the people that God has chosen to be part of His 'forever family'

One of the roughest and most dangerous areas where I have preached was the township of Gugulethu near Cape Town.

We were holding services in a bunker-like building surrounded by barbed wire. As we were in praise to God I was aware of a powerful odour. Standing next to me was Matthew. He was a homeless man who slept in cardboard box somewhere in the Township: no shower, no running water, no toilet. The poorest of the poor. 

Matthew grinned at me. His front teeth were missing, broken out as part of a tribal ritual to enrol him into manhood. My eyes watered from the aroma of Gugulethu 'old spice'.

I was looking around for another seat when the Spirit spoke to me and reminded me that Matthew was a member of the Christian Family. "Grin and bear it and be thankful you have all your teeth!"  That night I wrote this poem about the family of God. 


There's queer ones and dear ones, there's the long and the short and the tall, 

But they're washed in the blood and belong unto God, so my prayer is:

"Dear Lord bless them all."
There are a few of my kin who get under my skin and cause my spirit to fret

But when I look in the mirror I'm likely to shiver, for I know I'm not perfect yet!

I think of Big Eddy and his brother fat Freddy who were into many a heist, 

And I stand in amaze and give the Lord praise when I think who they'd be without Christ.

There's some need a bath and some make me laugh and others I'd take in small measure,

But they happen to be part of God's family and He counts them His special treasure.

There's Rosie the leper and Alice Culpepper and many whose names I've forgotten.

They're all part of the Tribe and transformed inside, by the work of God's Spirit begotten.

So we're in it together and in it forever, we belong to the Father Above,

so with sisters and brothers and angels and others, let's live as a family in love.

No comments: