Sunday, January 16, 2011

The all important step is the first step.

Our theme for the week: "Taking the first step."

Someone once said "There are a million ways to Christ but only one way to God and that is through Christ."

 This week I will give some short stories of men who I have met over the years and will tell how they made that all important first step to Christ.


John Fuller was my vicar from St Philip's in Nelson, England where I grew up. Vicar Fuller had a false leg. When he sat at tea while visiting our home, he would pull up his trouser leg a little. There it was, with a shoe and sock attached. It was a metal leg with many round holes in it.


Vicar Fuller had once played rugby for Wales. He had felt the call of God in his life but enjoyed his sport more than the prospect of ministry. In his first international match against France he was carried off the field unconscious with a shattered right leg.

He awoke in hospital with a cage over his feet and his leg amputated beneath the knee. The Spirit gently spoke to John Fuller's heart and said "John I can use you better with one leg than ever I could with two." John Fuller's first step to Christ was a hop.


He hopped  right into the will of God and became a preacher.
And what a preacher! Long John Fuller. He was the best vicar I ever had.

 

No comments: