Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Final step ...duh


On numerous of my trips to the States where I have preached for many years, I would take time to tour the Civil War battlefields.

At Spotsylvania in Virginia there is marker that denotes the place where Major General Sedgewick was shot from his horse.

The story attached to the marker is unique.

The good general was surveying the Confederate battle line before the engagement began. His aide de camp urged him to take care because of enemy snipers.

Sedgewick nonchalently remarked:
"Why, they couldn't hit an elephant from that dist----"
At that precise moment a bullet from an Enfield rifle fired from 800 yards away instantly killed him.

His final step was a five foot drop from his horse and words immortalised for their presumption.

I have carried this sober story with me for the last ten years and share it with you today.

I offer it as a point to ponder as you begin your day.

No comments: