Thursday, March 17, 2011

Japan: from Hiroshima to Fukushima










Picture of a petroleum-refining plant on fire




When I was in New Mexico a few years ago I drove up to Los Alamos and toured the museum there. As I looked at the replicas of the war time atomic bombs that were dropped on Japan, I marvelled that something so small could create devastation so complete.

But that was the world of 1945.

Now, a generation later, with daily images of the smoking reactors at Fukushima, news comes of American and Japanese engineers working together to prevent a nuclear meltdown.

In the 1940's I was brought up on a daily diet of "Hate the Japs!" 

It has taken a long time to forget those war-time slogans.

Perhaps today's news of such co-operation between the nations is a happy harbinger of the time when "The lion shall lie down with the lamb."

Hasten the day!

Ian

No comments: