Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Stations of the cross. The crucifixion


Big Cross in Groom TX
Big Cross in Groom TX

Driving East towards Amarillo a few years ago I saw a towering cross appear on the horizon.
After another mile I was able to pull over into the parking lot and see something uniquely American.
It was the Groom Cross and its stations erected right out there on the high prairie.

There happened to be a man standing there with his wife and, lo, he was the one who had had the vision to build this 190 foot cross.

He had been a professional footballer who, tired of the synthetic values of his sport, began to seek a deeper meaning for his life and in his darkest moment found both his redemption and his mission to do something "BIG" for God. 

The Groom Cross was the result.

I know that this huge aluminum edifice bears no relation to the cross of Calvary, but it has proved the words of Christ to be true:

"If I be lifted up I shall draw all  men unto me."

At a million visitors to Groom, the biggest cross in the world is doing it's job.

Here's a quote from a man called William Carey:

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God."

I guess that's what Steve Thomas did when he built the big cross in Texas.

Ian

No comments: