Monday, January 28, 2013

Overweight? Another point of view.








Today I am printing a rejoinder to my January 14th post on eating
disorders.

This was written yesterday by Rev. Jack Kenehan who was my assistant pastor some years ago in the city of Barrie. He writes:

"My friend Ian, when he did his post on eating disorders, involved himself in some generalizations commonly held in society.

The anorexic models that look a picture of health do not exist in my book.

My long battle with being overweight began in my younger years through drinking coca-cola and developed from there. I later found that my metabolism had a clinical side to it that made my battle against obesity all the more fierce.

Christian people who are fat know all too well the scripture that says "Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost" and are reminded daily when they look in the mirror that they are far from a size 8.

I disagree with Ian's opinion that obesity is an extension of a social experience. In my case it was just the opposite. I had a poor self image and turned privately to food for comfort and personal consolation.
 Overweight people belong to just another classification that endures ostracism in society. The latest term brands us as "Health Sinners"

Please spare us from more judgment and bigotry.

Let me introduce you to "Grace Sandwiches"

A Grace Sandwich has love on both sides with truth in the middle.

Let's try loving fat people with the unconditional love of Christ.

 You may find that in doing so they enlist your help as an accountability partner. Then everyone has the joy of meeting goals together.

Thank you for listening."

Jack Kenehan

  

No comments: