Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Our trip to Europe.




















Shortly Pauline and I leave for Europe. Before we go I thought you might like a preview of our trip so that you might follow along by virtue of a cyber tour.
Almost a year ago, Mark, my 42 year old son, suggested that he and I tour the battlefields of France and Belgium. That idea got my instant approval. The dates in 2013 also coincided with Pauline's 70th birthday and so a threesome was planned that would include a visit to England, our home and native land.

Our first stop is near Winchester in Hampshire to see my sister, Anne. She lives a short journey from Highclere Castle made famous by the series "Downton Abbey".
We have planned a visit to view this famous home of the Carnarvon family.




The name of Carnarvon was all the rage in the 1920's when the 5th Earl and fellow Egyptologist, Howard Carter, discovered the tomb of Tutankhamen. 
One of the features of Highclere is the huge basement area which houses one of the most fascinating museums of Egyptian artifacts in the whole world.
I suppose that Mark and I will be "down below" while Pauline and sister Anne view the stately upper floors, which form the enchanting setting  of Julian Fellow's  "Downton Abbey".

Jubilate.
Ian

No comments: