Tuesday, June 7, 2011

milestones not millstones.


I spoke to my neighbour last week. Her husband had died suddenly from pancreatic cancer.

I stopped the car and went over to speak with her as she was doing some yard-work.

This lady was in her early fifties and her husband had been a very successful business man in our city.

What does a person say?

Well, I opened my mouth and trusted the Lord for the right words. I simply said that I had read in the papers how she and Gary had been a devoted couple and how sorry I was to hear of her loss.

Immediately there was a flood of tears. Then I said " Save and cherish the memories you have shared with Gary, but don't let the clock stop ticking. This is a milestone in your journey with God, not a millstone round your neck. God still has special things ahead for you. Let's believe that your future can still be bright and happy with God's help." With that I prayed for her.

She thanked me and I left.

Nothing too profound. But if you look at the photo I like to think that I might have put my shoulder to that big millstone and helped my neighbour along a difficult part of her journey.

Ian

No comments: