Thursday, July 21, 2011

This week: The cure of the Gospel




After one of my radio broadcasts in the 1980's my phone rang.
I had been speaking on the "Many faces of Fear"

The lady who spoke wanted to see me. She told me that she had never been out of her house in five years. She said she was suffering from agoraphobia.

She finally agreed to meet me as long as she was swathed in a long cloak with a large hat to hide her face.

We won't go into the interview, sufficient to say she was one of the surging number of phobics that our society is discovering, on an almost daily basis.

Anachraphobia, xenophobia, claustrophobia, umbra phobia, homophobia the list is endless.

Without being over simplistic, the Gospel message is the cure for all things phobic.

One of the most oft repeated phrases of Christ is "Fear Not".
There happen to be 365 of them in the Bible.  And by the way they are not suggestions; they are commands.

Pick one for every morning you get up. They will last you for the whole year.

What about the leap year?

Stay in the house with our agoraphobic friend.

Enjoy your day.

Ian

No comments: