Thursday, November 17, 2011

Chez Nous.


When Pauline and I first arrived in Canada it was a struggle. We lived in a little cottage in the Big Woods and barely survived our first two winters.

I had a single pair of shoes in which I worked and then polished up on Sundays to preach.  I got another pair of preaching shoes but I continued to work in my first pair. At the end of year three (1977) this is what they looked like.

I could have thrown them in the trash but I felt that they deserved to be bronzed and handed to my grand-children as a remembrance of the early years when Pauline and I were still "colonists".

If ever I am tempted to become complacent or unthankful for God's blessings in my life I can always take a trip to the basement and remind myself of the road that Pauline and I started down nearly forty years ago.

Moses did something like that when he kept a pot of manna from the forty year journey in the wilderness.

Perhaps the Lord was saying:

 "If you forget me when you are eating well in the land of milk and honey I can always put you back on bread and water!"

Maybe you are going through your own hard times. Don't stop trusting God, look for a memento and, in a few years time, you will have a story to tell.


Ian

No comments: