Sunday, November 20, 2011

Baba Amma the great hugger






Astounding but true. In the Alexandria Palace in London last week 9,000 people lined up for as many as ten hours to be hugged by Amma the hugger from Kerala, India.

What was behind this public display of amity and affection?

Was it a fad or a genuine phenomenon?

Again it is hard to tell but I have concluded that there are legions of lost souls in the world who feel unloved, unlovely, unwanted and lonely.
There must be, or why else spend a whole day waiting for a finely timed 12 second embrace and a few words in Urdu whispered in your ear if you were a whole, fully functioning human being?

I listened to one lady rising from Amma's voluminous embrace, declare that she was "Changed forever." Another was so lost in a euphoria of wonder that she could not answer a reporter's questions.

Ah, if access to Heaven were that easy. I have found that since coming to Christ nearly fifty years ago I have experienced setbacks, persecutions, disappointments, tribulations and great extensions of heart in this business of being "Changed forever."

Maybe a new brand of salvation has appeared on the market.
Try it if you will but, as for myself, I'll stick with Jesus who said
"Except a man take up his cross daily and follow me he cannot be my disciple."

Ian

No comments: