Monday, November 21, 2011

A human torch.






Yesterday I was mystified about "Hugging Amma" from South India and the thousands who flock to her arms for comfort and consolation.

 Today I was even more at loss when I saw a picture of this Tibetan monk incinerating himself to protest the chinese occupation of his country.

He is one of a dozen that have suffered self immolation in as many weeks.

While I was casting in my mind to find a reason for such a catastrophic reaction I suddenly recalled words spoken by Jesus.

"These things they do because they do not know me."

It was a moment of clarity.

Human beings are capable doing the most insanely hideous and the most insanely bizarre things if they do not know the love of God.

                       'Ardens sed virens'

 is a life motto I gave to one of my daughters:
                      
                      'Burning but still alive!

Give us the true fire of the Spirit Lord and protect us from all other.

Ian

No comments: