Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The scientists: Michael Faraday



The fact that you can read today's post is due in large part to Michael Faraday, who in the early 19th Century discovered the secrets and laws of electro-magnetism.

To explain fully his work and research in electro-magnetic induction is beyond my ability,sufficient to say that he discovered how to change mechanical energy into electrical energy. In so doing he invented what we commonly call a 'dynamo'.

From the very beginning of his life as an experimenter he believed that God was uniquely guiding him, not only in the production of electricity but also in the understanding of its LAWS.

Let me quote him:

"The beauty of electricity is that it is under a LAW and through that LAW it conveys the gifts of God to man."

Again:

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature."

It is not stretching a point to call Faraday a genius, but listen to him in one of his later letters to a friend.

"Speculations! I have none, I am resting on certainties:
I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed to Him."

In his last lecture someone asked him what he expected to be doing in the next world. He replied:

"I shall be with Christ and that is enough!"

I trust all this will give a jolt to your mind as you start your day.

Jubilate.

Ian

No comments: