Monday, May 28, 2012

North of Sixty. The Bishop of the Arctic











We meet some fascinating people in life, no more so than when we travel to one of the four corners of the earth.

Such a place is Dawson city where, literally,the trail runs out.

It was here that Andre and I met the bishop of the Arctic. The man on the right!

He joined us on our bench overlooking the mighty Yukon River with his assistant, Laurie Munro.

For the next half hour he told us how he came to be overseeing the largest parish in the world (about 2000 miles across).

When he mentioned that he had begun his career as an evangelist in the Church Army I asked him if he knew my old friend, Ken Weaver. Ken and I had worked together when I lived in England.

"Well, Praise God!" said the good Bishop, "Ken was my evangelism mentor in seminary."

Even when I am 3000 miles away from home I am always astounded by the family of God and how interconnected it is.

One day you will be sitting on a bench by the Crystal Sea in Heaven and you will staggered by who comes up and sits beside you. It might even be the Bishop of the Yukon.

Jubilate
Ian

No comments: