Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Some poems that I have written



A couple of months ago Pauline and I took a trip out to a country church and bought two plots in the cemetery.
This place was used by some of the early settlers so we will be in good company.
I thought a poem on the prospect of death would go well with our visit to St John's in Craighurst.

                               Taking the prize.

It's time to go, Heaven's calling, no sentimental bawling.
The moment's here, be of good cheer, I hear Him calling.

The battle's fought, the race is run and so the work on Earth is done.
Why linger or prolong?
Ahead the Crystal Sea, the Victor's Song.

It's time to go, Heaven's calling,
do not attempt to keep me here by stalling.
Away with tubes, wires intravenous:
The way is clear and He has gone before us.

The Jordan is already crossed, the Blood Stained Bridge laid down.
And now I pass to meet the Heavenly Host,
to take my place and crown.

Let others cling to empty hopes and fading dreams,
My future is not here nor is my home.
I hear the Master's voice and I must go, the time has come.

My memories of Earth are rare and dear,
My wife, my family and friends that I have cherished here.
Now I must go, but in a while
We all will meet beneath the Saviour's smile.

For Heaven is a place where tears shall be made dry,
and sighs and sobbing hushed.
Its gates shall close on every sin and lie;
The Tempter's head shall be forever crushed.

I must go, Heaven's calling,
Bright rays I see and feel His Presence o'er me falling.
The final steps I run and breast the tape
And Christ the Prize I take by faith.

Jubilate.
Ian

No comments: