Tuesday, May 8, 2012

poems I have written.




A short while ago I was speaking to a men's meeting. Every one present was sincere about wanting  to serve God, but they came from Canada and all of them were super-busy.
I went home and wrote this poem which I titled:

                           CLEARING THE DECKS

I hear the call of God to go,
to preach His Word and save the lost,
And deep within my  heart I know
whatever, Lord, I'll pay the cost.

I'll ford that river, climb that peak,
I 'll blaze new trails lost souls to seek.
I'll fast, I'll watch, I'll give, I'll pray,
I'll sell my goods, be on my way
------------- but not today.

You know that I would serve You Lord:
The call is strong.
But the fence requires an extra board
and the grass is getting long.

I'll read your Word ( I love the psalms)
I'll feed the poor and give them alms.
I'll memorize the scriptures too:
But I have other things to do.

Maybe next week I'll find a way
to dump some stuff and run the race
and help some sinner find Your grace.
I'll do it Lord,somehow: but not right now.

The ball game's due to start at eight
and that's too bad.
It makes me sad that job for God will have to wait.....
another week.
But You'll see Lord Your face I'll seek.
I'll do it Lord, You know I will.
I'll get up early, pray for Bill.
I'll sign that cheque, give John a tract,
Now that's a fact.

Today I have a wall to paint. On Sunday
I will be a saint and smile and say "Hello"
But evening at the prayer group "NO"
That time is for my Television Show.
Perhaps next week, next month, next time...
What's that You say?

"MAKE UP MY MIND!"

Jubilate.

Ian

No comments: