Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Destin, Florida














Here's another wedding story.

Above twenty five years ago I was at my desk in Barrie when the phone rang. It was a member of my congregation in great distress.

"Pastor Ian, please come to the Soldier's Memorial Hospital. Joel is dying."

I didn't waste time asking for details. In 25 minutes I was at the bedside of a nine month old baby with viral meningitis, not expected to live till the next morning.

Together with the parents and a nurse I prayed. Suddenly I turned to the mother and said:

 "Don't be afraid, God has healed your baby. He will live to be married and when that day comes call me and I will officiate at his wedding."

Twenty two years passed. One morning the phone rang and a voice asked
 "Are you Pastor Wilson?"

 I agreed that I was. The young man then said "I'm Joel Smith. 22 years ago you prayed for me when I was going to die. Now I'm getting married. I want you to officiate."

I asked "Where are you living?"

He said "Florida."

I replied "Then tell your Dad to send the ticket and I'll be there."
 And I was.

Five years later Joel and his wife are doing just fine, running their own business and praising the Lord who does all things well.

Anybody else out there who wants to tie the knot?

Jubilate

Ian

No comments: