Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A letter from England. Farewell to old comrades.




Two connections this week. Both with old friends, neither of whom are expected to live out the Summer.

Strangely enough I worked with both of these men in a rough part of Liverpool in the 1960's establishing a church for the City Mission.

When I moved to Canada, Bill and his wife, Carol, followed me and later pastored in Goodlands, Minnesota. Bill is in the terminal stages of cancer.
Roy and his wife, Beryl, stayed in Liverpool and faithfully looked after a growing flock of believers.Roy has tumors in his lungs and has been given only limited time by the doctors.
Both men when I spoke to them were triumphant in the midst of their affliction, both serene at the prospect making their departure from their earthly home and both agreed to look out for me when I arrive on the "other shore".

When I told Bill that our mutual friend Wally had died in February, he readily agreed to pass on my regards to him in Heaven. 

The heart of the Christian Faith is an empty tomb in Jerusalem and
it is both mighty and relevant when the doctor has told you that you have 10 weeks to live.

Jubilate.

Ian


No comments: