Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Let Winter do its Worst

In the late eighth century in England one of the more enlightened monarchs called Canute, wanted to demonstrate that it was God in charge of the major events in life, not the king.
To do this he assembled his court on the beach at Pevensey and ordered his throne to be set up on the sands.
When the tide turned, Canute, with scepter in hand commanded the waves to come no further. He kept giving his edict until his chair was almost afloat and then, on being rescued by his jarls, he remarked: "Now you know where the real power lies."

Thus the photograph, taken secretly by my neighbour when I was putting out the garbage last week.

In defiance of the Canadian Winter I did the job in my running shorts.

Tonight, another storm is approaching my city of Barrie and tomorrow I will be out with my snow shovel, wrapped in my thermal pants and gloves, conceding  with Canute in the rule of a Higher Power.

Jubilate 

Ian

No comments: