Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mottos and maxims


Yesterday I was speaking about Maxims and mottos. When I gave out copies of my book “The unscripted life” I put three Latin mottos in the fly leaf; one for each of my children.

My elder daughter, Sharon, was once an officer with the Ontario Provincial Police. Now she is a stay at home Mom.

For her I wrote the inscription “Augusta per Angusta”. Roughly translated this means “Good character through pain.”

The Bible speaks of the mystery of suffering. In one verse it actually says “We shall reign with Christ if so be we also suffer with Him.” Paul says in his letter to the Philippians : “ I have fellowship with Christ in His sufferings.”

Don’t ask me how or why, but human beings are ennobled through sufferings rightly responded to.

Victor Frankel said : “The sufferings we endured in the concentrations camps delivered us from cleverness and brought us to a wonder of life.”

 Why did I put that verse in for Sharon? I’m not sure other than the fact that I prayed, and that it has been my observation that the trials that she has been through have served to produce a more saintly character.

After all it is character alone that we take with us into the world to come.

No comments: