Friday, January 7, 2011

Mottos and Maxims


The youngest of my kids is called Sarah. She is a busy mother of three but still manages to do her art work and sell her paintings for quite handsome prices.

When I put a motto in her book I chose: “Ardens sed virens”   (Burning but still alive).

I had once seen those words under a picture of the Burning Bush. I felt that I should give them to Sarah as a maxim for her life. On the day that I had all the family together, I said; “Keep the fire burning, Sarah!”

Ah the fire! The fire of inspiration, the fire of passion for life, the fire of devotion to Christ. If the ardens is next to the virens all will be well.

A couple of years ago I spoke with a man who had gone through rejection and disappointment in his ministry.

As he told me his story with tears in his eyes I asked him: “Is the fire still burning?” In answer he nodded his head. I replied “You’ll be OK.” And he was.

Jim Elliot was quoted as saying: “Protect yourself from the dread asbestos of this world. Keep your fire burning”

Two years later he was speared to death while preaching to the Auca Indians.

“Ardens sed Virens” Keep the fire burning. Don’t burn out. Burn on!

No comments: