Wednesday, January 5, 2011

On eagles wings


We were talking about mottos yesterday.

When I finished writing a book a couple of years ago, I presented my three children with their own copy and added what I felt were appropriate words for each of them on the fly-leaf.

I decided I would also add a Latin motto. I failed Latin in high school, but I have far more reverence for the language over fifty years later.

For my son, Mark, I wrote: “Aquilla non captat muscas”  Translated, this means: “Eagles don’t catch flies!”

Above all, flies are a distraction. What I was saying to Mark was “Keep your eyes on the big picture. Have lofty goals in life and leave the fly catching to the frogs.”

In the Old Testament, Baalzebub was the name given to the devil. Translated it means: “Lord of the flies.”

As Christians we have a high and holy calling. Let’s mount up with wings of eagles today and enjoy life in the NO FLY ZONE.

No comments: