Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mottos



My sister, Anne, from over ‘ome has worked on our family tree. She discovered that the Wilson’s originated from Scotland. ‘North of Hadrian’s Wall’ as we say in England.

 Knowing this, I researched the history of the Wilson clan and found that one of the Septs had been kilt makers for King James 5th. Maybe he was wearing one of his kilts when he commissioned the King James Bible?

Among other things I dug up was the clan motto: “We do not follow inferior things”.
I felt immediately that such a maxim was worthwhile adopting for my own family and, since then, I have been often pushed to live up to the standard.

Might I suggest that you do your own research of your family name on google? You may find words of inspiration in a motto that will bless you in the coming year.

No comments: