Thursday, September 29, 2011

England: the aftermath



Peter Ustinov, arriving at his private school in England, was summoned to the headmaster's study. Looking at young Ustinov over his spectacles the principal intoned " Ustinov we hear that you are a unique individual, enterprising, creative and with brilliant qualities. We want you to know that in your first year here we intend to crush all of that!"

Returning for my reunion at Nelson Grammar School after 60 years absence brought into vivid recollection my first encounter with headmaster Maurice Brown.
He was noted as a "Thrasher" and I was the first pupil to be caned during his 10 year reign of terror.  "Wilson," he shouted, as his cane resounded on my taut trousers "I shall never forget you." Nor did he.
My frequent trips to "Doc's" office inured me for the coming trials of life. Refusing to be neither repressed nor suppressed I thrived against all odds.

 Tragically, Doc's son Richard, did not. Brought up in a negative and bloodless environment, he committed suicide, unable to find his place in his unhappy world.

Parents, by all means tan your  kids if they require it, but give them infinite amounts of love and approval. They will grow up to be world beaters!
Ian

No comments: