Monday, May 7, 2012

some poems that I have written



I was preaching at the weekend on prayer. I had written a poem to illustrate a point. One of the ladies suggested afterwards that the poem deserved a wider audience. So here it is. You are the wider  audience.

                           A Place to Pray.

A place to kneel, a place to pray,
A place to sing away the burdens that I feel
and leave the problems of my day.

A place to come just as the sun is risen.
A place to come and find my sins forgiven.
A place to whisper secret heart's desires.
A place to ask the the Lord to light my dying fires.

With noise and turmoil all around,
A place where silence is the only sound.
A place to hear His voice and know His peace.
A place to re-unite my will with His.

And when my mind is burdened and my soul oppressed,
A place to sense again that I am blessed.
A place to laugh, a place to weep, a place to share
my need:
A place of refuge from the storm,
A place to intercede.

A place to come at any hour,
A place to to be re-filled with grace and power.
"And where" you ask, "maybe this place of mine?"
"My friend, it is the altar of the Lord and you are welcome anytime."

Jubilate.

Ian

No comments: